“Through my work with hundreds of children and families as an occupational therapist, I have witnessed this tragedy unfolding right in front of my eyes. Our children are in a devastating emotional state! Talk to teachers and professionals who have been working in the field for the last 15 years.” (Victoria Prooday)
In a sharing moment with yourot.com, as occupational therapist, Victoria Prooday has shared some alarming concern about the children’s declined social, emotional and functioning condition. In her post, she writes here are the reasons why Kids are in deprived healthy childhood fundamentals:
- Kids are spoiled with “Rule the World” caption
Nowadays, many people declare to their kids that they can rule the world. There is nothing wrong with this caption as it train the children to do what they want without limited by particular rule and social judgment. But, what we must remember that the children still need to be trained what is good and what is bad for them. This also leads to deprived responsibility problem as they just do what they want and leave what they don’t want,
2. Inadequate sleep and imbalance nutrition
Some children don’t like vegetables or other nutritious food or get enough sleep and choose playing but parents can’t just sit tight and follow what their children dictate to. Kids need to be trained that they need adequate sleep and nutrition to grow.
3. Indulged with high technology babysitter
The using of technology as babysitter can bring serious effects in the future such as their attention and ability to face the delay gratification in the future compared with virtual reality when the interact with parents and family as ‘real babysitter’.
4. Indoor lifestyle
Putting kids into the indoor lifestyle leads to limited social interaction, it affects how they should control their emotions. Hence, it is necessary to bring them into outdoor activities and let them interact with friends or adults neighbors.
What we should do then!
We need to train their brain as brain is moldable and can be in “strong” or “weak” condition. Here are how:
- You are their parents not their friend, let them know that they can’t just get what they want without knowing what is good or what is bad.
- Be emotional available parents to connect with the kids emotionally such as smile, kiss and hug the kids. Parents can also be emotional coach to teach them how to deal with frustration.
- Providing nutritious food and snack and proper amount of sleep consistently
- Spending more time outdoor together such as doing sport and playing together
- Have scheduled usage of technology
- Train them in daily activity including responsibility and be independent. Such as tidying up toys after playing or unpacking groceries
- Train their patience by making them wait and limit what they want, hence they can train their emotion naturally.
- Train their social skills by teaching them turn taking, compromising, negotiating and sharing by using “please and thank you”